ADVERTISEMENT

Woolworths: Buyer discovers ‘prickly’ and potentially poisonous leaf in his lettuce

Spinach fear renewed as Woolies shopper makes horror discovery in her salad: ‘Hope I’m still alive tomorrow’

  • Shoppers found “spiked” leaves in their lettuce
  • They bought baby spinach leaves at Woolworths
  • Supermarket says they are investigating

A desperate shopper has panicked after spotting a prickly and potentially poisonous leaf in his Woolworths mixed salad bag.

The customer turned to the internet for help identifying the suspect leaf after preparing a salad of baby spinach on Saturday.

“Can anyone identify this barbed leaf I bought from the Woolworths baby spinach pack,” they wrote in a post on Reddit.

“I found this after almost eating the whole lettuce, hoping I’ll be alive tomorrow.”

ADVERTISEMENT

They took to the internet to find out if the spiked leaf (pictured) could be poisonous shortly after preparing a salad with the baby spinach leaves on Saturday

A Woolworths spokesman told NCA NewsWire that the suspicious-looking spinach leaf had been noticed by his investigative team (pictured a Woolworths store in Roselands, Sydney).

A Woolworths spokesman told NCA NewsWire that the suspicious-looking spinach leaf had been noticed by his investigative team (pictured a Woolworths store in Roselands, Sydney).

The majority of users said the leaf belongs to the nightshade family, also known as nightshades, some varieties of which can be extremely toxic to humans.

Commonly found on tree trunks or shrubs, the plant sprout small purple flowers and bright red berries in the warmer months.

“I’m guessing it’s Solanum Prinophyllum, or one of the various Solanum strains,” one user surmised.

‘Solanum Prinophyllum is originally from Australia and is found on the east coast. Fairly common and grows in disturbed soil.

“The leaf shape can look a bit like a rocket, so easy to miss when growing between a rocket. Probably, whenever the rocket was grown, a plant grew, and part was accidentally harvested.

The majority of users said the suspect leaf (pictured) belongs to the nightshade family, also known as nightshades, some varieties of which can be extremely toxic to humans

The majority of users said the suspect leaf (pictured) belongs to the nightshade family, also known as nightshades, some varieties of which can be extremely toxic to humans

The user said some strains could be “quite toxic” to humans.

Another said the buyer dodged a bullet as the plant could be “highly toxic.”

“I believe this is from the nightshade family, the fruit is poisonous and I’m sure the leaves are no better when ingested. You’re right unless you’ve eaten a bit of it,” wrote another.

“Husband is a gardener. He says it’s a type of nightshade and you should 100% report it as it’s poisonous and some forms are deadly,” said a fourth.

Consumers may experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea when consuming nightshade leaves. Gardeners are urged to wear gloves when handling the plant.

A Woolworths spokesman told NCA NewsWire that the suspicious-looking spinach leaf had been noticed by his investigative team.

The discovery comes just weeks after a nationwide recall of spinach, after a child was hospitalized for eating a toxic batch of spinach (pictured is a Woolworths-brand bag of spinach leaves).

The discovery comes just weeks after a nationwide recall of spinach, after a child was hospitalized for eating a toxic batch of spinach (pictured is a Woolworths-brand bag of spinach leaves).

“We take food quality and safety very seriously and are disappointed with this customer’s report,” he said.

“We have passed this on to our delivery partners for them to investigate further and have not received any similar reports.

‘If our customers ever have any concerns about the quality of our products, we encourage them to contact their local store for a replacement and refund.’

The discovery comes just weeks after a nationwide recall of spinach after a child was hospitalized for eating a toxic batch of spinach.

Up to 100 people across Australia are believed to have fallen ill after eating the contaminated product, including a Queensland child in December.

advertising