Greek Chicken Marinade – Modern Honey
Juicy, flavorful Greek chicken with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano and spices. This Grilled Greek Chicken is moist and full of fresh flavors!
Welcome to Greek Food Week, where I share all of our favorite and authentic Greek recipes. I start strong with grilled Greek chicken, which is so versatile and can be served with so many different foods.
We love Greek food at our house! I have the best recipe for Greek Chicken Gyros with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce. Everyone always rates this recipe 5 stars! I also share how to make Homemade Greek Chicken Bowls with Greek Salad on a Bowl of Rice. Yummy! If you’re looking for an easy and flavorful Greek pasta salad full of fresh veggies, this is the recipe for you! You can also combine it with a classic GREEK SALAD.
If you’ve been on Modern Honey for a while, you might have tried my BEST CHICKEN MARINADE RECIPE (EVER!). It’s literally our favorite grilled chicken recipe every time. I wanted to create a Greek version that focuses on olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice and herbs. It pairs perfectly with creamy tzatziki sauce.
Greek Chicken Ingredients:
- Chicken — Use your favorite type of chicken – breast, thigh, tender or thinly sliced chicken breast. The tender and thinly sliced chicken breasts cook faster.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- lemon juice — I suggest using freshly squeezed lemon juice from two lemons for a real, fresh lemon flavor.
- salt and pepper — It’s imperative to use enough salt and pepper to infuse the chicken.
- Optional: Greek yogurt
The olive oil keeps the chicken extra moist and juicy. Fresh lemon juice will help break down the fiber in the chicken to make it more tender. Garlic, oregano, salt and pepper add maximum flavor to the chicken. All the ingredients work together to create a savory Greek chicken.
If you want a touch of sweetness, add some honey to the marinade.
Greek Chicken Marinade Instructions:
- Whisk together the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl. Place chicken in large Ziploc bag and pour marinade over. Poke small holes in the chicken with a fork to allow the marinade to penetrate the chicken.
- Marinate for at least 60 minutes, but I recommend at least 3-5 hours for maximum flavor and the juiciest chicken.
- To grill the Greek chicken, set your grill to medium heat. Let it preheat before adding the marinated chicken. To prevent the Greek chicken from sticking, brush the grill with some oil. Depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts, cook for about 5-6 minutes per side. The chicken needs reach 165 degrees to ensure it is fully cooked through. I recommend buying a meat thermometer for accuracy.
- Let the chicken rest for at least 5-10 minutes to keep the juices in the chicken.
What do you serve with Greek chicken?
There are so many ways to serve Greek chicken. It can be served with so many side dishes. Here are some side dish ideas…