ADVERTISEMENT

Experts warn of the #OneChipChallenge

Experts and social media users have warned of the viral #OneChipChallenge that is allegedly sending people to hospital.

The Viral Food Challenge is a recurring online challenge created by Paqui, the flavorful tortilla chip company, which releases a new spicy chip for this challenge.

2022 One Chip Challenge features the Carolina Reaper.

Paqui’s website reads: “This year’s high-voltage slice contains a supercharged Carolina Reaper Pepper and a pungent scorpion pepper with a shocking touch, it will turn your tongue blue.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Social media users are encouraged to eat the entire chip, wait as long as possible before drinking or eating anything, and then post their reactions online.

But medical experts and social media users who have attempted the hot challenge warn of a potentially dangerous trend that is said to have sent some, including children, to hospital in excruciating pain.

A young girl accepted a $50 bet to eat a 2022 Carolina Reaper Chip.
TikTok / angela_b157

TikTok user @angela_b157 posted a viral video showing her niece in the hospital after attempting the challenge. The video has garnered 10.7 million views and led to several videos explaining the frightening situation.

One of the follow-up videos shows the little girl being amplified by her family members.

“Oh no,” said the girl after taking one bite as she stood on the spot.

ADVERTISEMENT

“They chew it!” He heard someone screaming in the background while the small crowd cheered for her. “Fifty dollars. Do the rest,” someone shouted.

The girl was seen stepping on her feet and shaking her hands in the video.

A girl holds her stomach in pain after trying the one-slide challenge
The Challenge is in its sixth year as Paqui releases a new segment annually.
TikTok / angela_b157

“It’s not that bad,” the girl finally replied showing her mouth blue while wiping the dust off her hands with a wet tissue.

In a later video, the girl explains that she bet $50 to eat the chip. Over time, the burning increased and made her cry.

She was eventually taken to the hospital where she was given various medications that took hours to relieve her severe stomach pain.

A girl covering her face with a hospital gown
Experts have warned of the hot challenge, which is said to cause severe side effects that have led some to hospital.
TikTok / angela_b157

The girl appeared to be in good spirits as she laughed during her story but others cautioned against the viral challenge.

States such as California, Texas and Alabama have reportedly seen hospitalizations due to the chip. School districts in states, including Georgia and Colorado, have warned parents to be on the lookout after several students missed school due to illness due to eating the chip.

KBTX reports that a student in Texas lost consciousness and started waking up in the classroom.

Dr. Gaylord Lopez of the Georgia Poison Control Center warns that eating potato chips can cause serious harm.

ADVERTISEMENT