Nobody wants to stand over a hot stove in this weather, so Bake Off finalist Crystelle is back with a heatwave-proof midweek meal idea that’s perfect for the warm weather – a chipotle salmon burrito bowl
Chipotle salmon burrito bowl
200 g uncooked long grain rice
Coconut oil for frying
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 can of black beans, drained
Juice and zest of a lime
Handful of coriander, finely chopped
400 g raw salmon fillet, skinned
3 ½ teaspoons chipotle paste
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
Juice of half a lime
3 teaspoons of honey
1 diced red onion
Juice of 2 limes
2 large avocados
4 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch fresh coriander
Half a fresh diced jalapeno chili
2 small salad tomatoes, cored and diced
1 red onion (pickled in lime juice)
1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
Juice of a lime
Salt and pepper
Tortilla chips, crushed
Grated cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Rice: Wash (and preferably soak) rice and cook in salted water until just cooked. Set aside and let this cool.
2. Heat a large pot or wok over medium heat, add a little coconut oil and add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
3. Then add the black beans and cook for a few minutes and season with salt and pepper.
4. Finally, add the cooked rice and mix until combined with the garlic and beans.
5. Turn off the heat and add lime juice, zest and finely chopped coriander and fan this with a fork. Put this aside.
6. Chipotle salmon: Next, cut the salmon into small cubes. Make the chipotle sauce by combining chipotle paste, paprika, lime, salt, pepper, garlic powder and honey. Toss the salmon cubes in the sauce until well mixed.
7. Heat a pan over medium to high heat and add a little coconut oil until melted and hot.
8. Add the salmon fillets and cook for about 45 seconds on each side until lightly charred. Remove from pan and set aside.
9. Tangy Guacamole: Place the red onion in a bowl. Cover with the juice of one lime and scrub it with your hands to help the onions pickle faster.
10. Peel, chop and mash the avocados with a fork until they are almost smooth. Grate in the fresh garlic and mix in the lime juice. Add the cilantro and jalapeno and mix through. Finally, add the pickled red onions and the juice, taste with a good pinch of salt and pepper and give this one last mix.
11. Salsa: Mix tomatoes, pickled onions, coriander and salt and pepper in a bowl.
12. Assemble: Put the cilantro-lime rice in a bowl. Add the salmon on one side along with some guacamole and salsa. Add shredded lettuce along with some crushed tortilla chips and grated cheese if desired.