This cheesy vegetable casserole recipe is labeled a breakfast casserole, but it works well for brunch, lunch, or dinner—just like a quiche. This delicious casserole recipe doesn’t have a crust, but lots of fresh greens and cheese.
The casserole is made with cheese, broccoli, mushrooms, garlic, spinach, onion, egg, half-and-half, and Italian dressing. Simple ingredients. This oven-baked casserole is vegetarian, but you can add cooked meat if you like. Ham, crispy cooked bacon, ham, chopped cooked chicken or turkey would be delicious added to the dish.
This casserole recipe makes a large serving of eight servings in a 13×9-inch pan. I decided to cut it in half and used an 8×8 inch pan instead. He still made enough for dinner. Serve this comforting casserole with a fresh garden salad.
Preparation time: 30 minutes plus time to cool
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes plus time in the refrigerator
Servings: 6 to 8
- 3 cups finely shredded Italian cheese (divided)
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion or green onion
- 8 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups half and half
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
Here’s how to make it:
- Spray the baking sheet with cooking spray. Sprinkle 2 cups of the cheese evenly in the bottom of the dish.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter. Add the broccoli, mushrooms and garlic. Cook over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes or until broccoli is tender and crunchy. Cool 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, bell pepper and onion until well blended. Pour evenly over the cheese. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, flour, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the cheese and vegetable mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight (see note below).
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover baking sheet and bake 33 to 38 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Leave to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
Note: If you don’t want to wait to cook this casserole, bake it at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Note: 30Seconds participates in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or commissions if you make a purchase through those links.
Recipe cooking times and portions are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion tables. Here you are how to send your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds communityAnd follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed every day.
Related products on Amazon We think you might like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide us with a means to earn commissions by linking to Amazon.com and its affiliate sites.