A Vegan Nutritionist Shares Four Essential Plant-Based Food Combinations for Optimal Nutrient Absorption
Vegan nutritionist Catherine Perez recently shared four essential food combinations for optimal nutrient absorption.
Eating nutritious foods has so many benefits, but you need to make sure you are pairing them with foods that help your body absorb them.
“Regardless of dietary choices, the ability to absorb nutrients changes throughout the life cycle,” she says.
Foods “have different absorption rates, which can vary depending on how you process those foods and even what you eat those foods with,” explains Perez.
Pairing foods are an easy way to make sure you’re getting all the nutrients you can! Here are four key food combinations, according to Perez.
1. Iron content with vitamin C
Iron deficiency can be a concern for those on a plant-based diet, says Perez. Legumes and grains are rich in iron and can be combined with good sources of vitamin C such as broccoli, peppers and onions.
Check out the vitamin C rich foods that need to be combined with iron for ultimate absorption!
2. Zinc containing sulfur
Zinc intake may also be a concern for those wanting to go plant-based. Zinc is found in grains, seeds, and legumes. Zinc is better absorbed when combined with sulfur. Onions and garlic are good sources of sulfur, so try making legumes with onions and garlic!
Read our guide on how to get zinc in your plant-based diet to boost immunity and reduce inflammation!
3. Antioxidants from fats and fat-soluble vitamins
To ensure antioxidant absorption in your diet, combine foods rich in the antioxidant lycopene, such as tomatoes, with fats such as olive oil and avocado.
“A good example is the lycopene in tomatoes. If you cook tomatoes in olive oil or make a bean salad with cherry tomatoes, add fat, such as diced avocado, for better absorption.”
Check out these 10 unusual sources of antioxidants you didn’t know about!
4. Calcium with Vitamin D
Calcium is essential for everyone, and many people fear missing out on a plant-based diet. must be combined with vitamin D.
still worried? Check out our guide on how to avoid undernourishment.
A simple way to help the planet:
- Reduce Meat: download food monsteris the largest plant-based recipes app on the App Store that helps you reduce your environmental footprint, save animals, and get healthier.You can also purchase hard or soft copy Favorite vegan cookbook.
- Reduce your fast fashion footprint: Taking the Initiative by Fighting Fast Fashion Pollution and Supporting Sustainable and Circular Brands small rescue Raise awareness about important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade many times.
- Independent media support: Providing public funding gives us more chances to continue providing quality content.please think support us By donating!
- Sign the petition: Your voice matters! Turn your petition into a victory by signing the latest list. Petition requiring signature To help people, animals and the planet.
- Get information: Subscribe to get the latest news and important articles on topics related to animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health and human interest. our newsletter!
- Do what you can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat locally, travel responsibly, recycle, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water washing, move away from fossil fuels , save water, shop smart, donate if you can, grow food, volunteer, save energy, compost, microplastics and microbeads hiding in common household and personal care products. Don’t forget!