🌱 CATS Free to Run + New Grocer for South Charlotte
Good morning, neighbors! It’s me, Alexis Goring, your Charlotte Daily host – everything you need to know about what’s happening in the city these days, delivered to your inbox. Today you can find the following news:
- In honor of CATS Transit Share Day, rides will be free this Saturday (Feb. 4).
- Developers are proposing to bring back a grocery store option for south Charlotte.
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police are investigating a homicide in southeast Charlotte.
But first, today’s weather:
Windy cloud, then sun. High: 49 Low: 24.
Are you a Charlotte business owner or marketer? Who wants to build awareness, connect with customers and increase sales? If this is you, I invite you to see how our newsletter sponsorship can combine your local audience with your expertise to attract new customers. Click here for more information.
Here are four of the best events in Charlotte today:
- What are the leash laws in Charlotte? (WCNC.com)
- QC Events: 7 Ways to Spend a Weekend in Charlotte (WCNC.com)
- 14 Local Florists in Charlotte, North Carolina for Valentine’s Day (kiss951.com)
- Wedding trends for the New Year (Spectrum News)
- Do my challenge: Cooking with Renata’s kitchen (WCCB Charlotte)
- Good luck, graduates! We are proud of you. Watch graduation on February 2nd at 4pm here charmeckschools.org/midyrgrad234 (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools via Facebook)
- CHOREOGRAPHER SOURCE: Meet Ashley Lindsay! In preparation for her groundbreaking work, Charlotte II has also been in the studios with choreographer, director and educator Ashley Lindsay! (Charlotte Ballet via Facebook)
- #BlackHistoryMonth Spotlight: Dorothy “Dot” Counts-Scoggins is an American civil rights pioneer. At age 15, he was one of the first newly desegregated and one of the only black students at the time… (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools via Facebook)
- My name is Alexandra Smither and I’m taking over @cltsymphony on Instagram over the weekend! I am very happy to perform Britten’s Les Illuminations with the wonderful conductor Vinay Parmeswaran. (Charlotte Symphony via Facebook)
- Happy Black History Month, Uptown! Take the time to learn more about and support local black-owned businesses. Right now, there are five black-owned businesses in the 7th Street Market, including: Mad Dash Kitchen…(Charlotte Center City via Facebook)
- We are pleased to share that Will Pitts has been named Chief Operating Officer of the Charlotte Sports Foundation. (Charlotte Sports Foundation via Facebook)
- Did you know that Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools offer six endorsements? Endorsements are ways to prepare students for success after high school. (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools via Facebook)
- We love that our employees have the opportunity to engage with the community through tutoring. Check out the Heart Math Tutoring blog featuring our Volunteer Coordinator Alexis Young’s recent experience…(Charlotte Freedom School Partners via Facebook)
- A new homeownership pilot program from Charlotte Housing and Neighborhood Services and DreamKey partners will provide up to $80,000 in home-buying assistance to eligible residents in “impact areas.”…(Charlotte City Government via Facebook)
- Did you know you can fundraise for GC RMHC on Facebook? Whether it’s your birthday or just because, share your story, tag us and invite your friends to support. You’ll be ready to go… (Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Charlotte via Facebook)
- Let’s celebrate #TransitEquityDay early by thanking transit riders and CATS operators at the Charlotte Transportation Center on Friday! #Investing in public transport is more important than ever in the face of the climate crisis. (Support Charlotte via Facebook)
- In honor of #BlackHistoryMonth, we’re celebrating the contributions of black composers to classical music, sharing resources about the history of racism in classical music, and more. (Charlotte Symphony via Facebook)
- Beatlemania is coming to the Knight Theatre! Join the CSO for a tribute to the Fab 4 on Classical Mystery Tour: A Tribute to The Beatles. Feb. 17 and Feb. 18 at the Knight Theatre. Save 50% on Saturday Night Tickets…(Charlotte Symphony via Facebook)
- Join Myers Park Library on February 7th at 5:00 pm to host Angela Jones, Librarian of the Levine Children’s Hospital Resource Center, for a virtual presentation on How to Find Reliable Health Information. (Charlotte Mecklenburg Library via Facebook)
- Have you signed up for our Family Volunteer Day this Saturday? Join us for a fun and easy family day of giving! Email Risa Brandon, Classroom Central Volunteer Coordinator at [email protected] to sign up! (Central Classroom via Facebook)
- I am looking for recommendations for animal surrender sites to help find new homes for dogs and euthanize them. I have been trying to rename my dog Cinnamon for the past few months through FB and websites with no luck. (next door)
- Still looking for a home for this cute playful dog. Is there someone who loves him and allows him to be your friend? (next door)
- Due to unforeseen circumstances, we are unable to keep our dog and have to rehome it. We are asking for his refund and for him to find a good home. (next door)
More from our sponsors — thank you for supporting local news!
Okay, you’re all set for today. See you tomorrow for another update!
— Alexis Goring
About me: My name is Alexis A. Goring. I’m an east coast girl with a passion for people, news and events! I have worked as a freelance writer/editor/proofreader in the media industry for 15 years. I am also a published author, experienced blogger, and founder of Writer at Heart Editorial Services. Please visit my website for more information about me and my work. Here is the link: https://alexisagoring.jimdofree.com.
Got a tip or suggestion for an upcoming Charlotte’s Diary? Contact me at [email protected]